Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

This time last year

I had a weekend that I may never forget.  Last year the weekend started out almost like any other, except it was snowing and I was able to leave work a little early on Friday.  The snow was coming down so hard many of the streets were already closed and/or completely backed up.  I took the back roads home and it still took over an hour!  I was really excited because I was able to get home in time to make a red velvet cake, it's kind of a tradition, and still have plenty of time to get ready for when Ryan would get home.  We were planning on celebrating Valentine's Day Friday night since it was falling on a Sunday.  We went to Maggiano's and it was delicious!  It was such a blessing in disguise that we went Friday night! 

Saturday, Ryan had to be to work by 8am, however this was somewhat of a challenge, since it had snowed so hard the night before and all of the roads were iced over.  I was so nervous and worried about him getting to work.  We had texted back and forth all morning.  I had been listening to the news talking about the roads being so icy it was making me a nervous wreck and I really hated that Ryan was out there picking people up in those conditions.  Well, I heard on the news that the roads were clear so I wanted to venture out to get some errands done!  Since we had in fact gotten married less than a month before, I had some returns, I had a wedding shower gift to buy and I wanted to take my sister to the movies.  Well, that never happened.  On my way up 400, I was being very cautious and noticed several accidents along the way but I wanted to make sure that I would not be one of them, however, that is completely out of my control.  I was in the far right lane and came to a shady part of the road where obviously the ice had not had a chance to melt.  My tires started to slide and so I went with the slide, however when my car hit dry ground, my car spun out instead of gripping the road.  I spun out in the middle of 400 with my passenger side facing the on coming traffic.  I was hit from behind and when I finally stopped I thought I had hit the median, I had no idea another car had hit me.  A nice family from Canada stopped to help me and let me sit in their warm car while we waited on the police and fire department to move my car.  They would not give me their names or address so that I could properly thank them, but they were my saving grace.  They made sure I was OK, kept me warm and really calmed my nerves. 

Thankfully I was not hurt except for a cut above my eye.  I'm still not sure what caused this, but I'm not complaining.  God really watched over me that day.  It makes me emotional to think about it, but I could have easily been killed.  It wasn't me who stopped those cars from hitting me, it was God, he has a plan and it was not my time that day.  It's still hard to this day to be in the car during bad weather, but it's getting easier.  I can't let it control my life.  My car was totaled and so a month into our marriage we had to purchase an unexpected new car.  It was stressful but we made it.  Ryan was so supportive and really helped me heal.  So needless to say, I'm so grateful that this Valentine's Day was much less eventful. 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...