Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

On a mission

One thing I noticed after Ryan and I got married is that we settled in and do not have much to do. I always heard it slows down after you get married, but I didn't really believe it. But, I have found I try to find ways to keep myself busy. As I said before, Ryan and I started playing Gin Rummy, but that was short lived, so I have had to find other ways to occupy my time. On Tuesday, I contacted Commuter Dude from 11Alive and let me tell you why.

Everyday, I come home from work and I feel like I’m on a test drive course, I have to swerve and dodge a million pot holes on my street just to get home. Ryan and I moved to Dunwoody because we thought it would be a nice area to start our lives together and we found an apartment we really liked. So we settled in, not realizing what our commute would be at the time. The road we live off of has so many patches, that aren’t really fixing the problem, as well as a huge hole at the front of our complex.



(picture does not do the hole justice, it is much deeper in person)


At first the pot hole didn’t bother me so much. I was driving the rodeo and if I’m being honest, I didn’t care about that car. I had been driving it for eight years and it was ten years old, so needless to say it was on its last leg. I didn’t expect to be getting rid of it when I did, but that’s a whole different story for a different day, but the point is, I have a new car. This is the nicest car I have ever owned and I would like to try to keep it nice for a long time. This is when my aggravation started. Being that I am not driving an SUV anymore, if my car were to accidentally succumb to this hole, I would die. I’m not trying to be to materialistic, but I love this car (not to mention the expense to fix it)!! So everyday on my way home from work I get a nervous feeling in my stomach as I approach our apartment complex. Am I going to miss it? Have I moved far enough over? Are there other cars coming that I might swerve into? As you can see, it’s a very stressful two minutes of my life. And with nothing better to do, I want it fixed. Hence, my email to Commuter Dude.



I was surprised to hear back from his assistant the next morning. She asked me to take a few pictures of the problem and give here a few more details about how deep the hole is and the exact location. So, I dragged (literally) Ryan outside with me to take pictures! He was not a happy camper, but came along anyways. Apparently he does not feel the need to fix the pot hole as much as I do. When I sent the pictures back I received a phone call minutes later. They want to put me on the show to talk about getting the road fixed. She said it is better when they can put people on air because it helps hold the city accountable for fixing the problem. I'm not so sure about being on TV, i just want it fixed, but it could be exciting. We still have to figure out if my schedule will work out, so I'll let you know if I will get my 15 minutes of fame! More to follow!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...